28 January 2009
Since end-1998, my page on the World Chess Championship : Three Star Games has used a clunky game viewer that was the best I could find ten years ago (example: 1834 Labourdonnais - McDonnell, Game 17). Having wanted to modernize the page for quite a while, I finally decided to point to the relevant pages on Chesssgames.com. Next step: Identify more three star games.
21 January 2009
I created a directory of World Championship News on About Chess (chess.about.com during the period 2002-2008), i.e. blog posts. For now, it suffers from many broken links and is mostly for my own reference, but it might eventually evolve into something useful. Who knows?
14 January 2009
07 January 2009
What do informed chess observers think about FIDE's recent proposal to introduce a Candidates' event in the 2008-2011 World Championship cycle?
- 2008-11-24: December Grand Prix moved from Doha to Elista ('The Nunn Plan for the World Chess Championship'; Chessbase.com)
- 2008-11-25: Topalov: 'I don’t see a reason there should be any changes' (Chessvibes.com)
- 2008-11-25: Ilyumzhinov announces Candidates Tournament (Chessvibes.com)
- 2008-11-25: More FIDE Shenanigans (Chessninja.com)
- 2008-11-26: The 79th FIDE Congress completed its session in Dresden (Fide.com)
- 2008-11-27: FIDE decides on a new Candidates format (Chessbase.com)
- 2008-11-27: Ilyumzhinov: 'Candidates Tournament in Spring 2010' (Chessbase.com)
- 2008-11-29: Chess in Space (Chessninja.com)
- 2008-12-04: Bidding Procedure for the World Championship Cycle 2009-2011 (Fide.com)
- 2008-12-05: Carlsen and the Candidates Debate (BCMchess.blogspot.com)
- 2008-12-06: Levon Aronian: FIDE must reverse its decision! (Chessbase.com)
- 2008-12-06: Aronian Joins Protest Against FIDE WCh Changes (Chessninja.com)
- 2008-12-28: Conference with top GMs (Fide.com)
- 2008-12-29: Ivanchuk proposes a Candidates' tournament with 14 players (Chessbase.com)
- 2008-12-30: Wait, We Can Still Make It Worse (Chessninja.com)
- 2009-01-01: January 1st 2009 (Magnuschess.com)
- 2009-01-03: Conference of top players in Elista
- 2009-01-05: Vladimir Kramnik on the World Championship Cycle (part one; Chessbase.com)
What's the consensus?
- Timing: Poor, don't introduce it mid-cycle.
- Format: Good, but only as a candidate's event, not as a title event.
- Privileges to certain players: Depends what you think of a particular player.