30 October 2013

Anand - Carlsen Resources

The much anticipated Anand - Carlsen title match starts in a little more than a week, so I'll use this week's World Chess Championship blog post to assemble a list of resources that I'll be following.

The formal title of the match is FIDE World Chess Championship 2013, Chennai, India, sometimes abbreviated to FWCM2013, and the official site is

The most important page on the site is the schedule, where I see that the first 12 games start at 03.00 PM (Indian Time). That's four and a half (!?) hours ahead of my local time, which means they will be starting at 10:30 AM for me.

I well remember the 2000 FIDE Knockout Matches, held in New Delhi (last round in Tehran), where Anand won his first World Championship title. At the time I compiled links to a list of news reports from India -- 2000 FIDE Knockout Matches, Reports from The Hindu -- which still lead to the original pages, nearly 13 years after the event. Here are links to two respected Indian news organizations, which should be excellent sources of on-site reporting in English.

As for a Norwegian source, there is a language barrier, but there are good translation tools to overcome this. I couldn't find a chess category, so here's a Google news search.

Since most chess fans know the main chess news sites, I won't list them here. If I discover a tag or category specific to the match, I'll add it to the end of this post. As for mainstream news sources, here's a link and an RSS feed to the same.

The Twittersphere (or Twitterverse, as some folks prefer) will be red hot. I won't try to anticipate its center of gravity, so I'll just list the account associated with the official site. It's been relatively sleepy until now.

Whenever I get the chance, I'll be watching the games live on the ChessBomb / Chessdom Live Arena. It always offers decent analysis from a world class player along with the usual mixed bag of comments from chess fans. A good post-game source is Chessgames.com, which also has an accurate record of past encounters between the two players.

Finally I'll list my own page, which I won't update until the match is over.

That's a good start. I'm sure I'll be consulting this post frequently throughout the match.

***

Later: Here are a few links for match reporting on the main chess news sites:-

Plus a few blogs maintained by match insiders:-

I'll add new links as I discover them.

No comments: