06 January 2021

C14 1987 Interzonal Qualifiers

I ended last week's post, C01-C29 IZ/KO/QP Cosmetic Changes (December 2020), saying, 'More to follow...'. One of the pages that I updated during the previous weeks, (C14) 1987-1990 Zonal Cycle Qualifiers, starts,
The qualification rules for this cycle have been guessed for this page.

After that page was created, we had a new web-based resource in US Chess CL Archive (November 2019). I reviewed the Chess Life (CL) PDF for the year 1987, hoping to find more information about the zonals for that year. Although I didn't eliminate all of my guesses, I did find new material for the page (C14) 1987-1990 Zonal Cycle, specifically:-

  • Zone 6, the U.S Championship, where the number of players qualifying was changed after the tournament ended, and
  • IZ Qualifiers, confirming the three organizer choices.

The page for the '(C14) Qualifiers' changed from (note the obviously incorrect double entry for '2I'):-

Adorjan A (c?,, 2I)
Hulak K (c?,, 3I)
Velimirovic D (c?,, 2I)

to:-

Adorjan A (c,, 2I)
Hulak K (c,, 3I)
Marjanovic S (c,, 1I)
Velimirovic D (?,, 2I)

Did GM Velimirovic qualify by rating? I'll look into that as soon as I can.

No comments: