20 January 2021

Weeksipedia

On the sidebar of my main blog -- follow the sidebar on this blog to find it -- there's a link called 'My Scrapbook (Google Alerts)'. In fact, it's been years since the service was rebranded as 'Giga Alerts', but I've never taken the time to update the name of the link. The link's target page is a service that keeps track of results for the search term 'chess "mark weeks"'. It's a simple way to see who is referencing my material and what they are saying about it.

Those 'Giga Alerts' aren't updated very often, some of them don't make much sense, and many of them are for other folks who go through life bearing the name 'Mark Weeks', but all-in-all, the alerts are useful. Recently I discovered that turning the page search into an image search returns many more relevant pages than does the straightforward page search. Many of the images are from Wikipedia pages that reference my World Championship pages for crosstables.

Using the same technique as I used for the post Imagery of 1995 Kasparov - Anand (June 2018), the following image shows the first three lines of a search restricted to Wikipedia pages. It's a real who's who of world class players who are a tier below the familiar names of the World Champions and their main challengers.

Google image search on 'chess "mark weeks" site:wikipedia.org'

[Call the rows 'A' to 'C' (from top to bottom) and number the images in each row '1' to 'x' (from left to right).]

Images A1 and A10, for example, are from Wikipedia's page on Fenny Heemskerk, who, according to Wikipedia, competed in four women's tournaments at the highest level. My own page, Index of Women Players lists a fifth tournament, the 1967 Candidates Tournament in Subotica, then Yugoslavia, now Serbia.

Image B9 shows Lubomir Kavalek (wikipedia.org), who died this week. Wikipedia has links to two of my Interzonal pages, although my Index of Players (H-M), lists a third, the 1987 Subotica Interzonal Tournament (Subotica again), where I note, 'Kavalek withdrew after six rounds'.

Why do the Wikipedia pages link to my pages rather than to other Wikipedia pages on the same subject? Or to Chessgames.com crosstables? That is a question for which I have no answer. Perhaps the links were created before the other pages existed. (NB: I'm *not* complaining!)

No comments: