06 March 2024

Toronto Candidates - Kickoff

It's been nearly two months since I last posted on the two 2024 Candidates tournaments; see The Race for the 2024 Candidates Events (January 2024). Since the tournaments are due to start at the beginning of next month, it's time to get serious.

For the past six Candidates tournaments, I've produced a crosstable of links to Chessgames.com showing the record between each pair of players. The post for the 2022 tournament was Madrid Candidates - Kickoff (June 2022). First, here are some relevant links for the 2024 tournament:-

In previous kickoff posts, I included a link to my page for the event. I stopped creating my own pages starting with the current cycle, so I'll reference the Wikipedia page instead:-

The following table includes each players record against the reigning World Champion, Ding Liren. The players' names link to their corresponding FIDE page.

Aba Car Fir Guk Nak Nep Pra Vid : Din
Abasov xx * * * * * * * : *
Caruana xx * * * * * * : *
Firouzja xx * * * * * : *
Gukesh xx * * * * : *
Nakamura xx * * * : *
Nepomniachtchi xx * * : *
Praggnanandhaa xx * : *
Vidit (*) xx : *
Ding Liren : xx

(*) Vidit Santosh Gujrathi

Four of the eight players plus Ding Liren competed in the 2022 Madrid Candidates Tournament (m-w.com). The newcomers are Abasov, Gukesh, Praggnanandhaa, and Vidit.

Apologies for not creating a similar table for the Women's Candidates Tournament, which takes place at the same time in Toronto. I ran out of time for the table, but will make up for it when I can. The links for both the official site and the Wikipedia page lead to info on the Women's event.

No comments: